The Sun says it is ‘sincerely sorry’ for Jeremy Clarkson’s column about Meghan, Duchess of Sussex
In the piece – published in The Sun last Friday to widespread criticism – the former Top Gear presenter said he “hated” Meghan and had dreamed of her being paraded through British towns and publicly shamed, adding “everyone who’s my age thinks the same way”.
It rapidly became the Independent Press Standards Organisation’s (Ipso) most complained-about article of all time, attracting criticism from high-profile figures, politicians, and his own daughter.
On Friday The Sun said in a statement: “In last Saturday’s Sun, Jeremy Clarkson wrote a comment article about the Duchess of Sussex. It provoked a strong response and led to a large number of complaints to Ipso, the independent press regulator.
“In a tweet earlier this week, Jeremy said he had made a ‘clumsy reference to a scene in Game of Thrones’, which had ‘gone down badly with a great many people’ and he was ‘horrified to have caused so much hurt’. He also said he will be more careful in future.
“Columnists’ opinions are their own, but as a publisher we realise that with free expression comes responsibility. We at The Sun regret the publication of this article and we are sincerely sorry.”
The newspaper added that the article had also been removed from their archives as well as their website.
The statement continued: “The Sun has a proud history of campaigning, from Help for Heroes to Jabs Army, Who Cares Wins and over 50 years of working in partnership with charities, our campaigns have helped change Britain for the better.
“Working with our readers, The Sun has helped to bring about new legislation on domestic abuse, provided beds in refuges, closed harmful loopholes in the law and empowered survivors of abuse to come forward and seek help. We will continue to campaign for good causes on behalf of our readers in 2023.”
Press watchdog Ipso said the piece had received a record of more than 17,500 complaints as of 9am on Tuesday – rising to 20,800 by 5pm.
The reaction surpassed the total number of complaints the media regulator received throughout 2021 – 14,355.
Following the furious backlash Clarkson, 62, said he was “horrified to have caused so much hurt”.
In a tweet on Monday, he wrote: “Oh dear. I’ve rather put my foot in it… I made a clumsy reference to a scene in Game of Thrones and this has gone down badly with a great many people.”
The Sun removed the article from its website on Monday, posting: “In light of Jeremy Clarkson’s tweet, he has asked us to take last week’s column down.”
The column followed the broadcast of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s explosive six-part Netflix documentary Harry and Meghan earlier this month, in which the couple made allegations of mistreatment by the royal family.
The first three episodes saw Meghan accuse the British media of wanting to “destroy” her and claim “salacious” stories were “planted” in the press.
The duchess also took the publisher of The Mail on Sunday – Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) – to court, after it published parts of a personal letter to her father, Thomas Markle, winning the case in 2021.